Friday, November 19, 2010

I run therefore I hurt

For those of you that don't know me I am 43 years old and 4 years ago I broke my right femur snow skiing. I would like to say I was doing some incredible trick at the time, but truth is I was basically on a bunny slope. Anyway, after 2 surgeries and a year on crutches and then 2 more years to get to feeling normal, I had gained about 50 pounds. Even at 6'2" tall, 265 pounds was no fun.

In March I started walking every morning before work. I had a friend walking with me at first but he chickened out after a few weeks. The walking became jogging and then the high school track just got boring. I started running on the roads around town and mile or two became three and then six. I can do ten miles now on my long days. I ran my first 5k (bout 3.1miles) a few weeks ago. I am currently training for a 1/2 marathon (13 miles).

I always heard the saying that when I see someone smile while they run I might consider taking it up. I know why no one smiles while they run. It can hurt. It usually takes me about 3 miles before I start to loosen up and feel good, but by that time my legs are pretty much numb. That is when the runners "high" starts to kick in and that does feel good.

Call me a masochist. Running can feel so good and hurt so bad at the same time. I am down to about 210 pounds now and I feel great so I guess I will take the pain.

Later
www.saxonsurveying.com

No comments:

Post a Comment