Monday, July 16, 2012

One day I will remember that sleep, eating and drinking right are as much a part of this as all of the training, Oh well, maybe one day.











The morning started with a 3 AM wake up so we could get to lake of the pines and go through our packet pickup and get everything ready. Thought we might be a little early, but didn't want to get there and be rushed. We had that covered. We were the first ones there. Not just contestants, but support and everything.

This wasn't to bad though. Got to watch a sunrise with Cristen and chill out a little before we had to get everything together. Made for a very nice parking spot too.

I believe there were 140 contestants in this race which was nice because there was one distance and only 2 waves. We got to start right at 8:00 and with 2 waves and only 3 minutes apart you knew where you were against everyone.

The water temp was 86 degrees. Pretty comfy. The air was still so the water was very smooth. Lake of the Pines is pretty lake in very rural setting, but I would not call it clear. Even with goggles on you could not see your hands in the water during the swim. I had plenty of time to look for them too. That was the longest half mile swim I think I have ever done. I think my split there was about 30 minutes and I felt every bit of it too. Its not that its so tiring its just mental. You can't just put your feet down and be ok for a few minutes. I was hurting to get to the end, but once I got there I was ok. Did not cramp and was feeling pretty good going into transition.

The bike is becoming my favorite leg. This course is very hilly. Its starts and ends with a pretty decent climb. It is an out and back course with just a little deviation on the last half mile. I wouldn't call it fast but it not extremely difficult. I believe I was passed by two until mid point and then I started pulling pretty good. I think I pass about 20 on the back half. This seems to be the same as what happened in Valley View a few months ago. Maybe where my strength lays.

The run is a very level course on asphalted park roads. Probably 60 to 70 percent was in  the shade. The run always make me mad. It should be my strong suit. Its definitely what I work on the most. During run training a 5k should be at about a 9:00 mile or less pace. I started out good. The first half mile was at a sub 9:00 pace, but then I kind of bonked. My stomach had been bothering me the whole race and now my calves where starting to feel like they were being ripped off my legs. I finished up at a pace of about 12:00 minutes per mile. But I did finish.

I never set out to win. I am racing against myself a P.R is not that important unless I am feeling really good that day. The opportunity to get out there with some friends, make a few new ones, and a cold beer at the end. That is what its about for me.

2 comments:

  1. To: Gregg Saxon #Triathlete #Marathoner
    From: Darin Armstrong #TeamLIVESTRONG

    ***Special #FollowFriday #Shoutout To: @GreggSaxon #Triathlete #Marathoner - http://saxonsurveying.blogspot.com

    Hello Gregg,
    The above is what your #Twitter #FollowFriday #Shoutout will look like this Friday should you do a 'mutual' following with me on twitter. ('Smart Individual Marketing/PR')

    Just a quick message to ask if you would be interested in a ‘mutual’ following on twitter that will benefit you. (#FYI I do RT’s ‘Anytime’ for all #Triathletes #Cyclists #UltraRunners #Marathoners #FitnessProfessionals who follow me on Twitter and have something important they want mentioned for support…(Over 41K folks at your access...) I am currently following you now and am awaiting your follow-back...

    All the very best to you & yours for the rest of 2013 & beyond Gregg. Look forward to hearing from you...

    (PS. Gregg, should you follow back, I'll be mentioning you 'Including Your Website' in a 'Stand Alone' #FollowFriday #Shoutout this Friday...)


    Darin
    twitter.com/DarinArmstrong
    #TeamLIVESTRONG

    ReplyDelete